Thursday 21 August 2014

Ultimate Tutorial on How to Photograph a Car with the Westcott Ice Light



My friend and RIDES Magazine's head photographer Andrew Link is no stranger to Fstoppers. He also happens to be one of the kings of shooting cars with the Westcott Ice Light, which is essentially a handheld LED rod (looks like a flourescent tube) used as a constant daylight temperature light source. After about 6 months of me begging Andrew for him to make one, he has finally created a fantastic and to-the-point tutorial on how to create an epic car portrait with nothing but a camera, tripod, and the Ice Light. 
According to Andrew Link

Lightpainting is a fairly simple technique that results in unique images… especially with cars. All you need is a continuous light source and a dark spot to shoot. Westcott’s IceLight has been my choice for light painting for a couple of years now. Its bright, puts out clean, soft light, and is extremely portable, all things that rank high on my list when choosing gear. In my 10 years of shooting cars I’ve used everything from cell phone led’s, to flashlights, to video led squares, to huge kino banks, but the IceLight has become a staple for me. The new barn door attachment has become a favorite of mine for helping control spill and avoid ghosted images of myself in my frames that would be a nightmare to retouch out later. 
Click the image to see the animated before/after gif.
The Ice Light is dimmable from 1.5 watts to 15 watts, battery-powered, and because it is LED, will last a long time on location (60 minutes on a full charge). You can also buy an optional extended power pack that will extend the charge of the light by another 2.5 hours. I think the optional barn door kit mentioned in the video above is a MUST for controlling light spill and for light shaping purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment